Rotation 9 Reflection

How could the knowledge I’ve gained here be applicable in other rotations/disciplines?

The knowledge I’ve gained in this rotation will definitely be applicable in my future jobs. The medicine floor covers patients with a broad range of disease that I can learn to manage, such as geriatrics, endocrinology, respiratory medicine, gastroenterology, and cardiology. I have the chance to diagnosis and treat different acute and chronic medical condition that will greatly help me in my career in medicine, regardless of which specialty I choose. Seeing patients with multiple medical disease will allow me to expand my differential diagnosis and treatment plan. I have also actively participated in daily rounds, look for opportunity to perform clinical procedures, and take detailed history of new admissions in the emergency department. In this rotation, I learn to deal with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of broad spectrum of complex disease.

Skills or situations that are difficult for you (e.g. presentations, focused H&Ps, performing specific types of procedures or specialized interview/pt. education situations) and how you can get better at them

Presenting a patient for internal medicine was challenging for me at the beginning of the rotation. Many patients are admitted for multiple chronic disease. I have to learn how to prioritize which ones are important and needed the most attention. I also have to gather a good medical history and test results in created a well throughout presentation. As I put in more effort, repetition, practice and time, I become more comfortable with oral presentation and writing the complete admission H&P.

What have contributed to my learning?

During this rotation. I have seen patients with a lot of medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, pulmonary disorders, heart related disorders, asthma, kidney disorders, electrolyte abnormalities and many more. I have learned that it is important to clear the concept by developing a better understanding of the pathophysiology of all the major disease. Knowing the pathophysiology helps with diagnosing and creating treatment plan for these disorders. Regularly seeing patients with multiple medical conditions also strengthen my clinical knowledge and give me confidence to create effective treatment plan.

Types of patients you found challenging in this rotation and what you learned about dealing with them?

Geriatric patients are overall challenging in this rotation.  I have learned how to communicate with them more effectively. They will often require more time for explanation and counseling. In order to communicate with them effectively, I will try to stick to one topic at a time because overload of information can confuse patients. I will also simplify instructions and write the instructions in a list on a paper. Charts and pictures are also great visual aid that will help patients better understand their condition and treatment. I will also use short and simple terms for explanations. In addition, sitting face to face, use active listening, and maintaining eye contact also help to communicate with geriatric patients.